Newborn Session Preparation Guide
The first few days of a baby’s life are so magical and incredible! Being able to freeze those moments for you is such an honor for me♥ I thought it might be helpful to write down how parents play a important role to a successful, pleasant and enjoyable experience for the successful newborn shoot.
So…. lets get started!
- When to schedule? Sooner the better! 2- 10 days are ideal, but i understand not everyone can make that happen. so the first 21 days are needed. Somewhere around day 10 they discover stretching and make it much more difficult to pose and curl into those sweet newborn poses.
- Where will the session be? They will take place in my studio in Perryville, KY. I have everything you need from boxes, bowl, hats, wraps, outfits, etc
- Babies do very well in the studio for posing when they are in a very deep sleep. To encourage this I highly recommend, stimulating the baby at least two hours before your scheduled arrival, a warm bath always does the trick. This also means keeping them awake during the car ride here and refrain from feeding 2 hours before arrival as well.
- Once you arrive you will feed your baby right away, once burped, we will then start preparing him/her for their session, meaning any and all clothing must be taken off, except for the diaper. As you might know babies don’t like the feeling of being naked, they want to be warm and completely snuggled That alone completely startles and wakes up a baby faster than anyone expected and because of that, they are now fully awake. Some babies fall into a deep sleep once picked up, wrap in a small blanket and soothed for about 15 minutes and then there are the babies that have been asleep for 3+ hours before arriving and are now refusing to go to sleep. Ahhhh, gotta love being a newborn
- Keeping in mind these two instructions will most certainly give you a well rested baby. In return we’ll be able to maximize the time you have in the studio with plenty of scenes and photos so for that reason please do not underestimate and risk how well your baby sleeps after a feeding. We need your bundle of joy to be very exhausted, tired and a bit hungry. I know it will be hard, atop of your own sleep deprivation but I promise you, it will be well worth the effort!! ♥
- I highly recommend if you’re solely breastfeeding to pump and bottle feed your milk for your babies session so ig baby gets hungry we can keep them posed and ready to go to make the flow of the session easier. Picking them up will startle them and we want to keep them calm and resting.
- Please do whatever you can to keep the noise to a minimum during our session. Maintaining a calm environment is also a big key to a successful newborn shoot. I do have a calming noise machine that I will keep close to baby during the session to help soothe him or her. Babies love strong and rhythmic sound usually.
- Since babies like to be nice and warm, the studio is usually pretty toasty during newborn shoots. I recommend bringing a extra shirt for photos with the baby or we will start with the family portion.
- I know this can be a very exciting and stressful time for you, especially when adding sleep deprivation in the mix! feel free to take a nap, watch a movie, bring food and have a uninterrupted meal, read a book..etc
- What do i bring? Nothing just you and the baby. I have everything we need. If you have something you want to include that is fine just let me know ahead of time so i can plan accordingly